Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Inspiration Elevator #18: Feeling Nostalgic


Inspiration Elevator

You may recall that the purpose of this challenge group is to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. You can view all of the challenges our new Inspiration Elevator Blog, here.

We are also pleased to welcome Denise Morrison and her stunning artistic style back to Inspiration Elevator. Our challenge this month comes from the very talented Lisa Spiegel . Here's what she had to say in her very own words: "October is my favorite month of the year. Hands down. The temperatures here in Southern California finally start to drop, we wear a light sweater, maybe even a little boot. We pull out the scarves and the jeggings and put away the capris and tank tops. Leaves begin to change and we prepare for Halloween! My whole house is decorated, from top to bottom, and it is no small feat. I even swap out my dishes and serving ware in preparation for Fall and Halloween and I love to just keep the festivities going all the way through the Thanksgiving and then holiday season. My house will not return to "normal" until January. So, Lisa, tell us, how does this relate to a scrapbooking challenge? Well, what I've found over the years is my scrapping even changes over the holidays. I layer more. Reach for the bling and really dig deep to embellish with meaningful objects. Journal my thoughts and stories and feelings. Fall just make me nostalgic. So here is the challenge. Create a layout that is nostalgic...the feeling should be evident from the title, the visible journaling and the embellishments you choose. Choose deliberately and with purpose to tell your nostalgic story. I can't wait to see how you interpret this challenge!"

Have I said how much I love this group? How the challenges really make me think and connect with my mojo? How much time I spend thinking about these challenges? It's an incredible process whose pressure really adds depth to my understanding of my own process and my capacity to create.

This challenge from Lisa began no differently. I thought I had an idea and as usual with IE challenges I like to let the concept percolate. This time I let it percolate while I basked in the sunshine of warm Florida. Then suddenly at Thanksgiving dinner my mojo took me in a whole new direction and here's the final result:
 
I used my iPhone to snap some photos during out fabulous dinner out at my Mom's trailer. The outside smells, fall leaves, the cooking turkey and being with my family at the close of the Camping season; all bring me back to my teen years when my parents owned Silver Birch Park, Bass Lake in the late 1980's. I met my husband there, and lived my most memorable teen moments there. It's so interesting that this family oriented event really brought out my feelings of those days long ago. Although we don't camp at all anymore, those memories of being out of doors for so much of my day remains some of my strongest ones.

I began with a Studio Calico template and a paint brush wash of Mr. Huey mists. I also added watercolour paints in matching colours.

I also added a colourful title cut with the Cameo. I like how the bright green brings out the green in the Harvest Lane by Simple Stories. While I certainly embraced the challenge an it's nostalgic feelings, I felt that any writing I wanted to add would only detract from the design. I did add the above text on the reverse of the layout to preserve the sentiments.

 I hope you will stop by and see what the  rest of the incredible Inspiration Elevator designers have created:

I am so grateful to Lisa for this thought provoking challenge. It really is about growth through process. If you feel inspired to play along with our challenge this month, please share it using the linky tool on our Inspiration Elevator blog and/or our Inspiration Elevator Facebook page. We'd LOVE to see what you made!

Unitl next time, keep doing what you love.

9 comments:

  1. It must have been the conversation- I find that good conversation just sparks my brain into all kinds of awesome new directions- it doesn't even have to be friends- my Mom and younger sister constantly make me go- Oh YEAH- it's great! I LOVE this page- beautiful photos- great layout and the misting is super cool- gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally love your page...every element..the memory needs to be printed from this blog post and go on the back...it's just to special to ignore!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how many photos you captured to embrace the memory of being at the lake... The overall feeling is so fall like, and so very warm. Love the misting too!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet page, I love that you managed to put so many photos on it but it is not crowed. Great story too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fabulous layout, Christa! I love all your photos and the beautiful memories behind them! I can feel the warmth and happiness in each and every picture and your 'Thankful' title says it all!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! Love this so much Christa. The colors, papers you chose and the template all give this such a warm, cozy feel. Perfect for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving this page Christa!! Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the photos Christa and the design in which you chose to showcase them. Wonderful layout!

    ReplyDelete