Thursday, August 15, 2013

Inspiration Elevator #16: Learning Something New


Inspiration Elevator

You may recall that the purpose of this challenge group is to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. You can view all of the challenges our new Inspiration Elevator Blog, here.

It was up to me to issue the challenge this month and I thought I was being very clever when I said:
Part of growth is learning new techniques. And I do mean NEW. Sometimes we are afraid to try something or get in a rut..but for the August reveal I am asking that you find a technique WITH a video and include the link in your post. Learn something new. Share where you learned it and then share what you learned and your creation. I hope this is challenging for you...it might take some time to think about!
You do not need to make your OWN video just share the one you used to create your technique. If possible be sure to get permission from the maker of that video so we can be respectful!


When I conceived of this challenge, I hadn't really expected that I would have such a hard time finding a technique I was willing to try but wasn't TOO afraid to try.  I have techniques I love already on my pages but have been stuck in a creative rut of late. While searching YouTube and Pinterest for scrappy inspiration, I discovered Limor Webber's Art Mixed Media video. (I attempted to contact Ms. Webber but could not find an active email address..so it is with respect and awe that I use it as inspiration here for my own creation.)


What I loved about this video was that it was fast forwarded and put to music. Ms. Webber did not feel the need to be-labour the process with too many (or any words!) What also caught my eye at first blush was the RAINBOW gelatos but it was the highlighting and low lighting that sold the finished project.  I hope you will find a few minutes to watch the genius that is Limor Webber.

I also took some inspiration from a cool kids site by Valerie. Her art project for modern art can we seen here. My kids loved it (it was surprisingly easy and cheap to do) and I so wanted to give it a try. It occurred to me to use both techniques to create something new!

Here's how I implemented the Gelatos and blending techniques of Ms. Webber and Valerie's the modern art technique.

 It was very freeing to create like the kids but use some grown up techniques with my Aquarelle gelatos. I technique I will continue to practice.(You can see how the drying caused the colour to be uneven..perhaps a larger brush? more colour..Obviously practice is required!)

So here it is..the final product.


I like how the modern art represents Adriane's love art and how colourful her personality is.A little zig zag stitching in several colours anchors the mat to the black background. I layered a black and white photo over it as I felt a colour one would compete with the bright background.

I also chose a colourful title in differing fonts and colours. I am loving the sparkle.



I chose to right a little pom to her and once I lid it out on the design it looked dull so I added a few doodles. I am not sure I like them much..what are your thoughts? Too much? out of place?
Hmmm...


Overall, this challenge was very enlightening and somewhat freeing. I hope you will stop by and see what the  rest of the incredible Inspiration Elevator designers have created:
If you feel inspired to play along with my challenge this month, please share it using the linky tool on our Inspiration Elevator blog and/or our Inspiration Elevator Facebook page. We'd LOVE to see what you made!

10 comments:

  1. You are SUCH a cool artist! I love how you did the art piece and then to turn it into a scrapbook page is genius..I think the icing is the multi colored zig zag stitching...AMAZING!! Thanks for a great challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing work..so inspired and yep I adore the multi colored thread too...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Christa! Look at you go with such an awesome modern art piece! I love how your design and the colours you chose reflects Adriane's personality! Just beautiful!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super gorgeous and so unique, love that you incorporated the whole rainbow! Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colour, Christa - I love the rainbow dotted washi that you used too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your creativity and its expression never cease to amaze me!! Love Love Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cool layout! So bold! And that's a wonderful pic of your dd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is fabulous Christa!! Loving the bold colorus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh Christa this is fantastic!
    My favorite art is done by children. This has that same feeling of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the abandon you used in creating this! And melding 2 techniques. How cool is that. Great piece - ART!

    ReplyDelete