Monday, July 2, 2012

Heart and Soul in under an Hour

In the old days (as my daughter likes to call them) when cameras weren't digital, I took a few random black and white film (yes, film!) photos of my son. He will soon be 13 years old and when I see these sweet baby shots of him, I actually tear up (don't mock me!) They are originals and can't be replaced so I usually take extra care in scrapbooking them. This month the Lipstick Chicks were challenged to create a design in an hour.  I wouldn't normally choose one of my precious photos to create in an HOUR but, when I am moved to scrap it I gotta go with the flow!  It actually turned out just the way I imagined and whether it was an hour or four (yes sometimes layouts take four hours!), I am pleased to have it in his album for years to come.

So here it is; the precious picture and all it's 43 minute glory! That includes the choosing of papers, pictures, misting, drying, sewing, sanding, cutting, inking and adhering!

I chose Simple Stories Summer fresh line and used a subtle pattern for the background. The chevron piece is also from that line. I used Mr. Huey mist in a brown colour and misted in the upper right. Sensitive to my hour limit I used my heat tool to dry the mist! I am not a fan of dry time! I added a burlap heart some washi and a few twine hand stitches.
I wanted to use a play on words for my title since my cutie is chewing on his shoes. I really do love him heart and soul! I chose several fonts for my title and wanted the emphasis to fall on the heart and soul part. My red chipboard letters are sanded and inked.  My 'heart' scrabble letters were actually purchased to make a "Father's" card and when I looked  at them sitting on my desk,  they suddenly made the word HEART (minus the f)! It was a magical scrappy moment.
I loved this challenge. I think scrapping in this short time period really distills your style and preferences down to the ultimate essence of YOU. Please stop by the True XOXO blog and check out what my fellow designers have created. Maybe you'll play along too! I hope you like it and until next time, keep doing what you love!
Christa

9 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous page and photo....I love the burlap hearts and the scrabble like tiles - beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, this is so wonderful Christa!! I looooove the burplap hearts and all the layering. Those old photos are precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe that you made this piece of art in just 43 minutes! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christa, this is fabulous! Love the title work, burlap hearts and the misting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photo, lovely textures and a wonderful layout, Christa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Under an hour? Wow, you gotta love when they come together like that!!! Just gorgeous and I love the adorable photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute page! I love this and I just got this paper. bonus. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this page, love the burlap and the pops of red. the multi font title is pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete